Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Some future day.

So I am the queen of putting off the inevitable. I clean my house by sweeping the debris off the counters and floors and into drawers and closets. I've never folded a load of clothes while they are still warm. The microwave is one of my best friends, it takes up the slack when I haven't thought about dinner for four until, uh, bedtime.

Add to my list of achievements, "postponement". More specifically, jury duty. As I sat in the lush, roomy and cheerful surroundings of the jury room this morning, surrounded by a very wet (check weather) cross section of the population of Los Angeles county, I listened VERY closely to the orientation which finally started an hour after we were directed to congregate.

I don't qualify for financial hardship, have no health excuse (I'm gonna work on that one), and have no dependant care "out", since my 7 and 10 year olds are perfectly capable of managing their own lives for eleven hours a day. That left me grasping for straws. Final instruction, if you won't be available for between 5-7 working days (the average length of a trial), you have the chance to postpone for up to 90 days.

Whohoo! I was first in line to fill out the official "I'm outta here" paperwork. It turns out that three months in the legal system is actually about five months in the real world. I've got till July to figure out how to fit my civic duty into my life of procrastination.

On the way home, my car stepped up to the plate and forced me to act on at least one unplanned responsibility today. The "low tire pressure" warning light not only blinks and beeps, but at some point it starts speaking. Whee, my escape from downtown through the pouring rain, passing not one, but two, multiple car pile-ups, was set to the soundtrack of dire warnings about undiagnosed tire problems. Turns out, all four tires wanted just a little bit of attention. That's much better than one wanting a lot.

So, yay! So far, I'm having a great day. No sarcasm this time, just gratitude.

2 comments:

  1. That's all I get? I'm gonna wait for my one other reader to,,,,,at least,,,,,gush a bit.

    ReplyDelete