Monday, April 27, 2009

Whew.

So the wedding we attended last weekend went off without a hitch.

Looking back, I realize I was witness to a study in courage.

There was a multitude of children present. Every single one of them dressed to a tee. Tuxedos, ties, tights and heels abounded. For many, it was their first time in clothes somewhat less comfortable than pajamas. I didn't hear one peep of complaint. After a decade of parenthood, I claim the right to call that behavior surprisingly mature, if not brave. Especially when I had my heels off as soon as we hit the cocktail area.

I watched the bride's father hand off his beautiful young daughter to the groom without losing it. Even after several beers. Go Dave!

And last, but not least, I listened to high school sweethearts speak idyllic words of undying love, commitment and eternity. Their vows were taken in front of an audience filled with parents, step-parents, half-siblings, significant others of grandparents, and who knows who else in our culture of blended families built on failed relationships. Now that took some big brass ones.

I did the same thing almost two decades ago. My husband and I were the same age and my step-family filled half the church. We knew the odds were stacked against us. Through our moves and jobs and children, we have forged ahead.

Life isn't like those fairy tale words spoken at the altar, but if Jenny and Caleb stay true to the team they were on their wedding day, they'll do just fine.

1 comment: